2008年10月27日月曜日

Homework #2

1.Death and Funerals

a. Do you have any international friends or a host family? If so, how would you express your condolences to them if a family member died?

This is an actual story. When I had a host family in the States, I experienced that my host father's mother passed away. One day he told me that he'll go to somewhere another states in the next day. He said "Sorry I won't be at home for a few days. I'm worry about living by yourself though" (Actually my host was only an old single man) At the moment, I had no idea what I should say to him, so I answered to him just "hmmmmm, OK". And next day when I go to school, I asked my teacher what I should say in the case. My teacher taught me to say just "I'm sorry to hear that"

If I express my condolences to him, I would say like...........

Dear Tony

I’m sorry to hear that. You must feel so lonely.
I remember you showed me some pictures of you and your mother. Although I haven’t met her, I’m sure you and she are tight-knit family.
If you keep being sad, she has to go to heaven with many worries. I believe that she had the best life in the world, because she spent her life with a good son, you.
I’m looking forward to seeing your smile soon.


Have you ever been to a foreign funeral?

I haven't had opportunities.


2. The language of Clothes (preparation for next weeks topic)

a.Why are Japanese designer label crazy?/ Why is what you wear so important?

We really care about what others are thinking of myself too much. So fashion is crazy important. That would be sometimes stressful for me.

b.What does “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” mean to you?

Things are not always as they appear. We shouldn't make judgements for just looking.
See what they are thinking, and their mind and characters.

2 件のコメント:

no.1-jm さんのコメント...

You have experienced?? really.

if me, I'm confused and I don't know what I have to say just like you.
it's really hard to express my thought.

HJU Teacher さんのコメント...

What an interesting story and what you learned by it! Good work.